May in Indiana is legendary. People from around the world descend on our great state to enjoy Indianapolis 500 festivities all month long. From the kick-off, the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, at May’s start to practices and Carb Day, to the Parade and Race Day, there is something fun to enjoy for everyone all month long!
There are so many Indiana traditions leading up to arguably the largest single day sporting event held at the Racing Capital of the World, The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home to the famous Indianapolis 500. Although the actual race isn’t until Memorial Day weekend (Sunday May 24th this year), there are numerous events and activities to enjoy all month long all over the city!
- Pre-Race Day Events Include
- Practice (May 11th-15th & 18th) tickets are $15 each day
- Qualifying (May 16th-17th) tickets are $20 each day
- Track Lap (May 20th) tickets are $20 per vehicle
- Legends Day Honoring Al Unser presented by Firestone (May 23rd) tickets are $10 (this does not include concert admission)
- Coors Light Carb Day (May 22) is presenting 3 musical acts for fans to enjoy (Jame’s Addiction, OAR, and 38 Special). You can buy tickets online (tickets do not include gate admission).
- 500 Festival Parade, a signature May event in Indy and held on the eve of the race (Saturday May 23rd this year). Hundreds of thousands of spectators fill the downtown streets of Indianapolis to take in one of the nation’s premier parades. It’s right up there with the Tournament of Roses parade and the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York. It kicks off at noon. Don’t miss your chance to take in all the beautiful floats, bands and wave to the Indianapolis 500 drivers as they make their way through the downtown parade route.
- Take in the “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” on Indianapolis 500 Race Day (Sunday May 24th) reserved seat tickets start at $46, and General Admission tickets are $40. You can purchase tickets here. A day filled with traditions and lore including, celebrities, patriotic music, ceremonies, fly overs and that famous starting command of “Gentlemen (and at times Ladies too) start your engines!”
The Indianapolis 500 theme makes its way into venues across the state, from restaurants to museums. Check out two featured events taking place during the month of May at the Indianapolis Museum of Art and The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis.
Dream Cars exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art (May 3rd – Aug 23rd) showcases American and European rare and innovative car designs and models from the 1930s to now. For IMA members and children 5 and under, admission is free! Adult admission is $18 and children admission is $10. You can purchase tickets ahead of time online or at the door.
Indiana is home to the largest children’s museum in the world, The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. Starting May 9th you can buckle up for a ride in a Hot Wheels. For adults 21 and older, you can experience the festivities after dark when the museum closes (May 15th). Ticket prices for this event are $25 for members and $35 for non-members.
There is nothing like being “Back Home Again in Indiana” during the month of May! We hope you get out and enjoy some good ole Indiana fun during the month!
(Photo Credit Kara Fleck)